Monday, December 7, 2009

Custard Puffs

Huge hit with my colleagues! Or maybe they were just being nice or very hungry.

I think I was a bit impatient and didn't really let the custard thicken, I also injected a lot of custard...maybe too much, if there is such a thing.

I followed Happyhomemaker88 recipe, except I piped out the shells and injected the custard. I'll have to post a picture of the gadget I used, but it was very inexpensive.

My mum also has a similar recipe in one of her cookbooks, under choux pastry. I guess this is what they call it, sounds fancy but its simple to make - if I can, you can!

CREAM PUFFS WITH CUSTARD FILLING

Pastry -

250 ml (1 cup) water
150 gm (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
125 gm (1 cup) all purpose flour
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt (reduce or omit if using salted butter or margarine)

Method -

1) Heat water, salt and butter to a rolling boil; reduce heat. Tip in the flour and stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms into a ball, about 1 minute.

2) Remove from heat. Add in the eggs, one at a time, while beating until dough mixture is smooth.

3) Heat oven to 200 degrees Celcius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

4) Use rounded teaspoonfuls (to tablespoonfuls, depending on the size you like) or a piping bag to make mounds of dough set about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

5) Bake puffs until they are puffed and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool.


6) Slit each puff halfway and put in the custard filling (recipe below).

Custard Filling :-

3 egg yolks

200 gm sugar (slightly less than 1 cup)( - or adjust the amount to your preference )

750 cc or ml milk (3 cups)

20 gm flour (1 1/2 tbsps)

20 gm cornstarch (1 1/2 tbsps) (or flour + cornstarch = 1/6 cup)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1) Beat yolk and sugar until white. Pour in milk bit by bit while mixing until sugar is melted.

2) Put in flour, cornstarch, vanilla and mix until smooth.

3) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and is thick.

4) Cool before putting into puffs.

There may seem to be many steps to follow here but really, this recipe is very easy and the yummy taste is well worth the effort! Hope you like the taste!

Bon Appetit!


In all the excitement of making them I forgot to take a picture, next time I will try to picture-document the process.

No comments: